Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thing #1 Lifelong Learning

Let me start out by saying this blog will probably resemble a stream of consciousness. I'm just writing what I think at the time and probably won't go back and revise and edit, so be warned! ;-)

Probably the greatest challenge I have as a lifelong learner is to view problems as challenges (habit #3). Sometimes I get so frustrated that I want to just say "whatever" and not finish a task rather than just walking away for a while and returning to it later. I'm usually much better at solving other people's problems because I'm not emotionally attached to their problems. I think a low level of frustration tolerence is in my genes. ;-)

If I had to choose the easiest habit, I would pick teaching and mentoring others. When I learn something new and am excited about it, I can't help but share it. I really enjoy being a mentor.

The most important habit for me as I'm going through this "23 things" class will be to accept responsibility for my own learning. I know I will only get as much as I put into it. My challenge is not knowing what my job will be a year from now. If I knew I would still be in this position next year, then I would feel more confident in coming up with ways to use technology in Science. I feel like I'm in limbo right now, so it's difficult for me to see past next year and set up goals.

1 comment:

  1. There may be a "thing" or 2 where you do "get so frustrated that I want to just say "whatever" and not finish a task rather than just walking away for a while". I know I did when it came to wikis.

    You will eventually figure it out; if not, I'll help.

    ReplyDelete