Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thing #10-Creative Commons

I suppose I've seen the cc symbol on web sites, but when I see those two c's together I think "closed captioning." I've heard a co-worker mention Creative Commons, but I'd never really thought much about it.

I have used many images from Wikimedia Commons in slideshows and flip charts for use with teachers and students. I guess this is just another avenue for Creative Commons, but again, I never really gave it much thought.

As far as negatives for using Creative Commons, I suppose people might become too dependent on using the creations of others. It is certainly a timesaver when you are trying to create a product for work and you don't have to stop and take photographs or spend time designing and drawing a graphic.

One of the questions asked was, "Who owns your teaching materials?" I've always thought that if you authored teaching materials while at work and while using the resources provided by that workplace, then the place of work actually owns the materials. I've known teachers who have toyed with selling their work, but I'm thinking that if they did it on school time, then they would either need the school district's permission or they would be breaking copyright. Is that right?

In education, it's easy to find schools, teachers, etc. who are in constant violation of copyright laws. I often feel like the copyright police when I go to a campus or classroom and see copies have been made that very clearly violate copyright law. I assume this goes on in the business world as well. It's an expensive mistake that I don't care to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment